Friday, September 17, 2010

I Am Officially Out of Space...

...for books. Y'all, I have stacks and stacks and stacks of books. I think besides my family and friends, books are my favorite thing in the world. First of all, you have to give it up to God for creating people who have enough talent to create entire worlds, people, events, and relationships through their writing. I know that I am a nerd, and I am in no way bragging, but even with working and having a family, I read around 5,000 pages a month. Seriously. (And I do sleep...when I'm not reading! :-) ) I can read freakishly fast, so that helps me move through books in a hurry.

I read some research a month or so ago that said if everyone read 1-1.5 hours a day, we would not only be a more literate society, but that reading also helps our children process, learn, and cope with things more easily. That is a huge statement! By the way, the school I teach at subscribes to this philosophy, and it is truly amazing at what great readers these kids are. They are fluent, smart readers with opinions and high test scores. That's why we are a Texas Honor School. Sorry, I digress...

I am not a particularly picky reader. If it's written, I will read it. I finished the Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon a couple of weeks ago. These books are not for the faint at heart. They are thick books that average about 800-900 pages per book (with 7 books currently published), but they are well worth the effort of reading. I just finished the Blue Bloods Series (super quick and easy to read), and I started Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett yesterday. To put a few minds at ease, I don't just read fluff. I LOVE classics like Mansfield Park, Sense and Sensibility, and Pride and Prejudice. I also really enjoy Christian fiction. Anything by Francine Rivers is amazing.

So, all this to say, I am out of room for books. I had to stop buying books because I officially have no where to put them. I love to buy books. I know buying books is a waste of money to most people, especially when you have a public library at your disposal; however, I love to buy books because I will re-read books over and over again. So for now, I am now a loyal library patron. As a matter of face I have been 3 times in the last week because I blew through everything I had checked out. Tyron asked me if they knew me by name yet, and I laughed. Now that I think of it though, it's probably only a matter of time before they do know me.

So, in case anyone is out there that wants to get me an over the top birthday present, I need another book case. :-) Because the library is great, but I like to own books too...and I need a place to put them!

No comments: