Sunday, September 19, 2010

King of ALL Days...

"Light of the world, you stepped down into darkness. Open my eyes let me see..."
I think it's fair to say that God opened my eyes to let me see him a little better tonight. I was winding down for the night when Chris Tomlin's "Here I Am To Worship" starts playing in my head. I have always known (in my head) that God will meet us right where we are no matter where we are physically, emotionally, or spiritually, but for some reason God decided to write that knowledge on my heart tonight.
"King of all days, oh so highly exalted. Glorious in Heaven above! Humbly you came to the earth you created. All for love's sake became poor."
As I was singing this song in my head tonight, the lyrics "Humbly you came to the earth you created. All for love's sake became poor" really struck a chord in my heart. It hit me that God could have come as a king, a rich man, or an important person with influential ties. He could have come to earth as a high ranking priest within the Jewish Church, but he didn't. He came as a poor carpenter. Jesus was/is fully man and fully God. He experienced infancy, toddler hood, childhood, puberty, betrayal by his closest friends, hunger, thirst, anger, joy, and pain. I could list a million things that Christ experienced in his 33 years, but it would take a really, really long time. The point is this: God can and will meet you wherever you are. If you are experiencing life, God has been there. He KNOWS how you feel because he's been there.
Right. Where. You. Are.
I needed to hear and know that in the depths of my soul.
I'm not really a hyper-spiritual person, but I do love God. Jesus lives in my heart, and anything in me that is good is really just Jesus shining through all the nasty, dark yucky parts of my sinful soul. I want to be Jesus' hands and feet. I want to know God instead of just knowing about him, and I am thankful that he opens my eyes to who he is a little more every single day. I am beyond thankful for his mercy and his timing because this part of the year is sad and joyful for me all at the same time, and I know that "God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose."
"Here I am to worship. Here I am to bow down. Here I am to say that you're my God. You're altogether lovely, altogether worthy, altogether wonderful to me."

No comments: