Thursday, December 9, 2010

Forrest Gump's Mom Really Was Smart...

"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get. That's what my momma always said..." I'm beginning to the think that truer words have never been spoken. I've been reflecting on our big move lately, and it's amazing how moving into a different part can completely up-end your life!
The move in and of itself was a great move for us. Tyron and I both LOVE our jobs. The kids are going to amazing schools. We are slowly but surely beginning to make new friends. It's all sweet and good, but there are some things that just jump out and shock you. I'm still trying to rebound from some of the shock!
Adjusting to a new place is exciting and hard at the same time. While most of the things that have shocked me are pretty petty and inconsequential (except my #1), they are clearly not deal breakers or regrets. I guess I'm just realizing how spoiled I am and how set in my Dallas ways I am. So without further adieu...drum roll please...
Melanie's Top 5 Move Shockers:
5.I miss the open fields and lack of Oil Refineries. Can I just say eeeewwww on so many levels? They stink and clutter up the landscape. Not to mention, they are U-G-L-Y. They. Ugly. Period.
4. I miss clean towns. I like new. I like clean. Baytown is not new or clean. Still adjusting. Having to fight myself on a daily basis because of the nasty. I feel like the entire town needs a giant bottle of Germ X dumped on it.
3. Stonebriar Mall. It's new. It's clean. It's safe. It's BIG. Need I say more?
2. Grocery Stores. I like lots of variety and quality produce. If they make their own tortillas, even better! I like to walk in and have a myriad of choices. It's also a plus if the store is clean and logically organized.
1. One of the things that has shocked me most is just how badly I miss my friends in Dallas. I knew that I would miss them. How could I not miss the women that shared their lives with me? I miss the frequent deep conversations about the Lord and having someone to pray with that knew all the deepest, darkest, ugliest parts of me and loved me through it and despite it. These ladies aren't just my friends, they are my soul sisters. It's not shocking that I miss them. It's shocking that I miss them like I would miss my right arm. I love you girls! Don't make any plans for June 2011 because our weekend trip is gonna happen come Hell or high water!

No comments: