Monday, May 12, 2008

Terrible Two's

We have officially hit the "Terrible Two's" with Faith. I am sure that many of you reading this have gone through something similar. This is a first for me because Luke has had his moments, but we never had an extended period of time where he was what I would consider to be going through the "terrible two's." However, Faith is pushing every boundary, asserting her independence no matter how many "safe" choices she is given, and choosing to ignore every order/request/plea that comes her way. It seems that she has a mind of her own, complete with ideas and opinions on how her little world should be run. After all, she is the master and commander of her little ship, right? Sound familiar? It sure does to me.
A wise woman who was in an old small group of mine once told me that she firmly believes that as a mom you are sanctified through your children. Now, don't panic and start flipping through your copy of Systematic Theology just yet. She wasn't saying that you have to have children to be saved or anything even remotely close. She was saying that through disciplining your kids, losing your patience, being at the end of a sometimes very short and fraying rope you have to opportunity to recognize the same disobedience, pride, disrespectful independence, and a myriad of other sins in yourself that you witness daily in your kids. This is an opportunity for us to be refined. I confess...most of the time I am still in my "Terrible Two's!" Spiritually speaking anyway. God willing, I will learn some lessons right along side my kids. The first lesson - I can do nothing apart from God.
Here is a little encouragement for you (and me) on the days when it is a battle to be a stay at home mom or a working mom or any kind of mom:
"Love always hopes in the freshness of tomorrow, the great goodness of God, and the bright future of the family."
- Cindy Sigler Dagnan
Here's to the freshness of tomorrow and having the God of all gods on our side.
Amen sister-friends!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So great in encouraging!! Thank you!