Monday, January 5, 2009

Recipe of the Week

I thought that I would start posting a recipe of the week. I know that I get sick of fixing the same things over and over. If you also want to post a recipe of your own, just leave it in the comment box! This is an easy way to share recipes that we love. I hope you are all having a good day amidst all the rain and ice!
Mac and Cheese the Healthier Way
Serves: 6
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 13 minutes
  • 1 box (13.25 oz) whole grain penne pasta
  • 4 cups broccoli florets (optional - use something you like better if you don't eat this)
  • 1 c. skim milk
  • 1 Tbs. all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • pinch cayenne pepper
  • 2 cups 2% sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
  1. Boil water and add pasta. Cook about 6 minutes.
  2. Add broccoli to pasta and water. Cook additional 4 minutes.
  3. In small sauce pan, whisk together milk and four. Simmer over medium heat for about 3 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and whisk in mustard, salt, pepper, and cayenne.
  4. Add grated Cheddar, whisking constantly until melted. Transfer past and broccoli to serving bowl. Pour cheese sauce over pasta-broccoli mixture and stir until coated.

Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you get this out of the Family Circle magazine??? I am totally making this already this week! Lol!

Melanie said...

What? You don't think this is an original? Ha! I kid! It's totally out of Family Circle. I love that mag.