Friday, March 13, 2009

How Great Is Our God?

In the past few months I have not been the most faithful of bloggers. As a matter of fact, I haven't been that faithful of an anything. It's pretty indicative of my insane apathy for the God who created everything and everyone and has delivered me from the evil person I am and the world we live in. Can I just say one thing? That. Is. Really. Really. Sad.

I've been a Believer a long time. I can barely remember not knowing Jesus, and the sad part is that I KNOW Jesus and still get swept up in my life, my worries, my kids, my husband, my blah blah blah. Get the point? I have been so focused on MY world that I have forgotten who this world (and my life) actually belongs to. Trading the Creator for the created. Isn't that pretty much man's recurring sin? I'm pretty sure you spell that I-D-O-L. I, long time Believer and lover of Jesus Christ, am guilty of idolatry. God forgive me. Please.

It's easy to get caught up in the day to day things of life and forget about the God who saved us from it. I say these things and confess my idolatry because I think we need to be reminded, as I remind my kids, that this life is not about us. It's about God. It's about being obedient and experiencing the joy and freedom that comes only from knowing and experiencing God. Chasing the things of this world never got anyone very far when it comes to eternity.

My only hope is that God is going to finish this work that he started in me. I know He has his work cut out for him, and He is the only one who can finish this task. I pray that I will be sanctified and bring Him glory. He is the only one who deserves it. May I be reminded of that daily.

Phillipians 1:6 (NASB):
"For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus. "

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am right with you there!

Sandy @ The Scoop on Balance said...

Melanie:

Thank you for your sweet, sweet comment on my blog. I'm so thankful the series is ministering to people in their deep places.

This post of yours is beautiful. I was just thinking the same thing about myself yesterday. I've gotten so focused on "my" everything that I have no reserve left for "other" or "God" anything.

It's a humble place to be. But I think we all go through cycles of this in our walk with God. We draw near, press in and slowly drift. Then God lovingly draws us in again, and we press in again...

Grace.

Don't ya love it?

Be thankful today that God is bringing all of this to your attention. He clearly longs to have greater intimacy with you.

Blessings, sweet friend.
Sandy