Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Purity Rings...Beware of the Rambling!

Okay, this is a bit of a rant, but I have to get my say in. On the 2008 VMA's purity rings were totally made fun of. Making fun of kids and teenagers who are pledging to stay sexually pure makes me so sad! It just goes to show where role modelship (I am not sure that is a even a word...I digress.) is completely misplaced. Beyond the physical consequences of having sex outside of marriage, there are so many soul wrenching consequences that are brought into marriage...among them are guilt and shame and many more of the like.

(Side note: I am not ridiculous. I know that some Believers have sex outside of marriage..."There is no one righteous, not even one..." Romans 3:10)

As parents, it is our job to teach our children the ways of the Lord, and we should pray daily for the our children to have a passionate love for our Lord, love of purity (of all kinds - not only sexual), friends that encourage our children to run towards Jesus, spouses who are lovingly prepared by God for our children, and a love of prayer and meditation. A huge task! Leaving a legacy of Christ in our kids is a tough job because we all fall short at the end of the day. I pray that my kids would find Christ in spite of my short comings, and that part of their relationship with Christ would push them into remaining sexually pure until marriage. Purity ring or no purity ring. The Lord says that is the state of your heart and not outward appearance or adornment that is important. At the end of the day, it is their decision to make, and I pray that they will know God's love either way.

Some scriptures that I am speaking/writing from:

1 Thessalonians 4:3 says this: "It is God's will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality..."

Hebrews 13:4 also says this: "Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure..."

Humbly I pray that anyone who doesn't know the Lord would find truth in His Word, and they would find healing and forgiveness in His loving kindness.

No comments: